Forbes came out with the most powerful women list for 2006.
I’m glad to see that there are more women from the government and fewer from the entertainment industry (not that I have anything against Oprah or Couric)
Indra Nooyi made it to the list too 🙂
1. Angela Merkel
2. Condoleezza Rice
3. Wu Yi, Vive-premier of China
4. Indra Nooyi, Chief Executive-Designate, Pepsico (way cool woman)
5. Anne Mulcahy, Chairman & CEO, Xerox
6. Sallie Krawcheck, CFO, Citigroup
7. Patricia Woertz , CEO & President, ADM
8. Anne Lauvergeon, Chariman of Areva, French nuclear engineering co.
9. Brenda Barnes, Chairman & Chief Exec., SaraLee
10. Zoe Cruz, Co-President, Morgan Stanley
“Angela Merkel, the first woman to become chancellor of Germany, has displaced Condoleezza Rice as No. 1 on our list of the 100 Most Powerful Women. Merkel won a tight election last year to unseat Gerhard Schröder as chancellor. She’s a former physicist from East Germany and a firm believer in free-market capitalism. Since taking office, Merkel has won respect on the world stage and popular appeal in Germany for her quiet diplomacy. Despite her short time in office, Merkel has been dazzling world leaders.”